here for buying info from Joann Fabrics.) She had the patchwork star nursery bedding from Pottery Barn in pink, green and yellow. I decided I would mimic her quilt and so started my project.
Unfortunately I don't have start to finish photos since this post is an afterthought, but I started with a bare letter "K" like the letter "E" below.
Then I chose 12x12 patterned papers from Joann's open cardstock that matched the the colors in the quilt. You should only need 1 sheet of each type of paper, but having an extra sheet is always a good idea. I chose 5-7 different patterns/colors for each letter. I then cut each sheet into 2x2" squares. After my paper was cut, I laid my squares out in the order I wanted them and repeated this pattern top to bottom, side to side. Before gluing my paper, I painted the sides of my letter with acrylic craft paint. Once dry, I glued each piece by hand, making painstaking cuts where needed. After all my pieces were placed and everything was sufficiently glued down, I used Tim Holtz distress ink in Vintage photo to give it an aged, antiqued look. Then, using a foam brush, I covered the entire thing in Glossy Mod Podge. Once it was dry, I used upholstery tacks to outline the letter. Then, I traced one of the stars on the quilt and cut it out of one of my papers and adhered it along with a ribbon and some chipboard with Karis' name spelled out to embellish the letter. I also used a little bit of pom pom trim on the top and bottom. Here are the other two I have just finished for my other two kiddos Elliot and Olivia.
I used Basic Grey Sweet Threads papers for Olivia's "O"
I used the same technique with theirs because I like how Karis' turned out so well. These are a great impact piece in their rooms. I love the way they turned out! They were a fun and affordable to personalize their rooms.