Monday, September 24, 2012

Halloween Wreath

Well, it's that time of year! The leaves start to fall and there's a chill in the air. It gets darker earlier and we stock up on CANDY! Yep, it's almost Halloween and this year I got an itch to create a Halloween wreath for the front door. I had to convince my hubby to let me spend the money to make one and so I had to do a little begging and borrowing. I used patterned papers from Echo Park's Apothecary Emporium collection that I had bought last year, Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Black Soot, a little spanish moss, 4" wood letters, MS glitter in Crystal , some plastic, black bugs from the dollar store, an 18" grapevine wreath, some flat, black spray paint and an orange/black lace printed satin ribbon. That sounds like a lot, but it only cost me $9! Ok, so I already had the paper and the ink and I made the rosettes with my MS score board and paper punches, which I already had. I covered the wood letters with paper and gave them a coat of Mod Podge, again which I already had, and then sprinkled on some glitter. So, I didn't add in the cost of those already purchased items, but if you had to buy rosettes, you would probably spend an additional $5 to $7. Mod Podge is pricey, but you can make your own. There's a great tutorial here. I also borrowed some spray paint from my lovely friend, Mary. I ran out, quickly, of the flat black and so I finished with chalkboard spray paint which works just as well and gives it a slight satin like finish, which I like. My hubby informed me of the fact that they have $1 cans of white or black spray paint at Home Depot. So, either way, it wouldn't have been what I expected to pay ($5.99) for a can of paint at the craft store. So, here's the break down:

Wreath $3.99 + 50% off @ Joann Fabrics
Paint     Free
Wood Letters $1.47/2 pack of the same letter = $3 + 40% off @ Hobby Lobby
Plastic Bugs $1 @ Dollar Tree
Ribbon $3.99 + 50% off @ Joann Fabrics
Spanish Moss $1 @ Dollar Tree

And here's the wreath!




I have yet to get some adhesive for my hook for the front door. When I do, I'll post photos of the front of the house. Since hanging our new front door, I am excited to try a new way of hanging my wreath that I saw on Pinterest. It is credited to a cute little blog named Lemonade. Check it out here. Speaking of new front doors, here is a photo of ours. We moved in 3 years ago and have a long list of  "To Dos". I think it turned out pretty nice!

Here is a view from the inside.

The view from the outside prior to adding the new screen door.

Here it is after adding the screen. Next up, black shutters and some more plants!




Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment